Happy April! With April Fool’s Day starting the month, and the light, goofy feeling that comes with springtime, I can think of no better way to celebrate this new season than by singing some equally ridiculous songs. The goofy songs I list below are some of my favorites to share with music therapy clients when it’s time to lighten the mood.
10. Let’s Call The Whole Thing Off – you say “to-MAY-to,” and I say “to-MAH-to.”
9. A Boy Named Sue – you can’t beat Johnny Cash’s rendition of this family drama
8. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious – singing it is fun; trying to spell it – even better!
7. Too Fat Polka – a ridiculous reason to refuse to dance
6. New Horizons in Music Appreciation – for the classical music lovers, a play-by-play commentary on Beethoven’s 5th Symphony by Peter Schikele
5. If You’ve Got The Money, I’ve Got The Time – at least the singer is being honest.
4. Little Brown Jug – each verse is funnier than the last
3. Your Feets Too Big – Fats Waller’s classic song
2. It’s Hard To Be Humble – “…when you’re perfect in every way”
1. Mairzy Doats – I love this one, for the silly lyrics and the reactions it often brings from my older adult clients.
What are some of your favorite goofy songs for seniors?